Pages

Thursday 2 August 2012

HWY 127 Yard Sale - Day One

As we have emptied the Robinsby Acres coffers into our house, we were under the notion that there would be no exotic trips this summer; and then we heard about the 650 mile yard sale that takes place on HWY 127 in the United States.  That's right... 650 miles (Michigan to Alabama) through America's heartland; where everybody's junk shifts from one owner to the next, and in our case imported into Canada!

We thought we would be up to the task and might make it from end to end figuring that there would be a yard sale every 5 miles or so.  Oh how wrong we were!  In reality, there is more like 7 - 10 garage sales per mile, and at this rate we will be lucky to leave Ohio let alone make it to Alabama... especially since SOMEONE (my wife) must carefully rummage through each individual trinket in hopes of finding that one gem.  Meanwhile I'm either tapping my imaginary watch at her or complaining that i haven't eaten breakfast yet. Well that is a bit of an exaggeration, but as I'm the one writing this you will only hear my side of the story.

We took a lot of pictures, so this blog as well as the ones to come which document our trip will be more like a slide show with comments at the bottom of each picture.

Enjoy!


After I backed the car out of the drive way, we noticed that part of the undercarriage was loose (I had recently grounded it on a parking block)... so we made it about 20 feet before having to pull over for a pit stop.



We stopped at American Jewellery & Loan in Detroit which is the location of TV's Hardcore Pawn Stars.  I was hoping to get into a really obnoxious arguement with one of the owners like it seems to always happen on TV.  Unfortunately no owners were around, and you have to audition to sell your junk... so much for reality TV!









We just thought this was rather funny.  Beavis and Butthead come to mind.  Heh heh heh!













This is butter with a side of baked potato.  To quote My Cousin Vinny... "have you heard of the ongoing cholesterol problem in the country?!".  Holy smokes do they ever lay on the butter thick!












We saw this near the start of our day.  We thought it was kind of weird to be selling a tanning bed in the middle of summer... or to even sell one at all for that matter.









This was rather cool.  It was a six and a half foot tall Sonic, and it belongs with the Segadude's collection.  In fact now that I know this is out there, I'm not even sure you can call what he has a collection.  It was $750, but i'm sure you could get them down to an even $600.  Even if I could afford this, it wouldn't have fit in our car.  The Segadude owns an SUV (or rather his old lady does), and Sonic is waiting for you in Bryan Ohio!

















Vintage Tupperware!!!!!!!!! For everyone who can't leave the 70s behind (and secretly wishes that they still held Tupperware parties - you know who you are).

















In Summary:

Total distance travelled on Day One - 76 miles
Total money spent - $48.75 (T - $21.75, J - $27.00) - see our haul below
Biggest observed price gap - Lite Brite ($1 versus $15)
Untapped market - baked goods for those who did not eat breakfast
Items we wanted to buy but could not for various reasons: puppies, rabbits, Corvettes, motorcycles, FULL ATARI SET with 25 games
"Advantage" over Canadian yard sales: guns... oh so many guns










2 comments:

  1. I really wish you hadn't posted the pic of all the Vintage Tupperware. Now there is a risk that David will insist that we drive down to Michigan to buy some and our baby could be born in the US. Vintage Tupperware may be more important to him than our child's citizenship. ; )
    Looks like you two are having a blast and won't get very far. Perhaps you can consider doing one state each year at this pace. Have fun and we're looking forward to seeing you haul when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some times you make me so mad!!
    You passed up a complete Atari system with 25 games? What were they asking? That stuff is GOLD! I could trade that in a heart beat for some Sega goodness. OR I could have just expanded the collection. If you at least bought if for yourself I would have understood.
    I was trying to let the 6' Sonic slide but then I read about the Atari and for the first time I saw your true colors...
    I'd like to say something nice about Mr. Mouth but I just can't right now... I need some time to heal.

    ReplyDelete