Pages

Saturday 4 August 2012

HWY 127 - Day 3

We didn't travel very far today as the Kentucky 127 stretch really knows how to do a yard sale!  Instead of acting as individuals, communities would band together and take over a vacant lot to make one HUGE yard sale.  Interestingly enough however it was our least productive day.  We also have some additional observations which must be stated.  There are three types of garage sale vendors in Kentucky.  The first type has a buddy who knows a guy who can get a decent deal on a certain item; lets use nail clippers as an example.  This type of vendor will order 40,000 of them thinking that if he/she manages to sell them all they could make a few thousand dollars.  However, what ends up happening is that most people don't really need an additional nail clipper as they don't often break.  He/she may sell a few, but then there are 39,975 left over.  Not being one to give up, this first type will store these for the next year, pull them out again and sell a couple more, store them a year and so one.  This pattern continues for the next 20 years whereupon they are pulling out a rusty box of nail clippers still trying to make to make that unattainable profit.

The second type actually has some cool stuff.  Unfortunately they store it all in miscellaneous boxes with no organization what-so-ever.  They don't even know what they have (which can be a good thing when it comes to negotiating... but good luck finding a complete item if there are several pieces).

The third type are my favourite.  These guys think every piece of junk they have is worth a fortune, and will back up their claim with a bunch of BS like, "oh that's really rare", or "I could probably get twice that on Ebay".  There is no point in haggling with these types because the won't budge.  If this type actually sold everything they had for the price that they were asking, they would be multi-millionaires.

  Today I did some personal reflection, and I'm quite angry at myself for passing up that Atari.  It was even the one that I wanted (with the fake wood siding).  The trouble was the $125 price tag which I'm sure I could have haggled down a bit.  I wish I could say that was the worst of it... but oh no... it would only get much worse..




What I have in my hands here folks is a genuine 1956 Chevy hood ornament.  The price was $35 dollars and I balked.  While in the shower that night, I realized what a mistake I had made.  When on Earth will I EVER FIND ONE AGAIN?!!  I am a moron, and henceforth I declare myself incompetent and am seeking a power of attorney to handle my monetary affairs.  I'm so stupid stupid stupid!

















This is a shot of one of the busier sales.  This went on for at least 1 km all the way to the local elementary school where they let us use their washrooms.  It feels weird being in a strange place, and walking on people's property and schools as if it is a normal everyday thing, but you get used to it.


It is so bloody hot down here, and the humidity is killer.  It hasn't really rained here for months so it is really dusty and dry.  The picture above is of a candle set that has melted in the heat.


Some of the larger community yard sales have portolets.  We thought it was kind of funny that they felt the need to make them gender specific.  I guess it is important to only see your own genders poo.  There is probably a law about that down here.


Alas our days haul.  Not nearly as productive as previous days.  Of course the best find was a complete Tonka crane/scoop in decent condition.  The guy wanted $65 for it, but I offered him $40 and he took it.  I paid MUCH more for it than my previous Tonka purchases, but the other cranes that I have seen were in much worse shape, and not nearly as common as the mighty dump.  Also, this version is from 1965 (I think based on the smaller wheel size and silver clam shovel)

The Atari joystick and paddles were just a reminder of what I had a chance to buy.

Ask and you shall receive... those are genuine tupperware popsicle makers.  I'm not sure if these were what you had in mind as when I was a kid I remember we had the ones with orange tops?!

The Nintendo was purchased from a type 2 vendor.  He wanted $40 for it, I offered $10 and we agreed on $15.

That's all for today; tomorrow is the final stretch.  Not sure what we are doing after that.  Perhaps come home?!

In Summary:

Distance covered on Day 3: 71 miles
Money spent: $72.25 (all except $4.25 by ONE person)
Should have bought: Fraggle Rock drum, mounted buck head, ram skull
Appalled to see: 1920's KKK ceremonial dagger (ONLY $165)
Wanted to buy: cute baby chicks
"Sport" to try: Cornholing (get your your mind out of the gutter)
TIP of the day: do not park sideways on a steep incline. You might have to drive over three front yards to "escape" (after embarrassingly burning rubber and bottoming out)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for getting the set of popsicle molds! Now that you mention it, I remember the orange top ones too, but I really like the Tupperware ones you got!

    Another nice vintage Tonka purchase! The smaller tires is a definite indicator of pre-1968 construction equipment.

    Regarding the hood ornament... I don't know what to say. Please tell me it was all pitted-out with rust and oxidization. If you can find another 1955 or 1956 Chevy hood ornament (other years are quite different) in decent condition, I'd love one too, and $35 isn't a bad price.

    I hope there wasn't too much damage to your car after bottoming out?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Princess dresses or other dress up stuff if you see it please! I'm enjoying reading your entries. Bill also asked me to ask you for lawn darts? I have no idea what those are, but he said you would know? Have a good day tomorrow. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SO much for the Popsicle molds!!!! I'm thinking mango, peach Greek yogurt and 10% cream in the blender, then freezing. Yummmmm.... I'm taking smoothies to the next level...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You bottomed out! As far as 'escaping' goes that pretty close Not escaping!
    How many eyes were on you while you drove through three yards of garage sales to find your away around this pit?
    I think the Tonka crane was worth the price. I didn't realize how old they were! How many are left that you want in your collection?
    Here's hoping that tomorrow will be the biggest haul yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you still want an Atari it was a smart move picking up those joysticks. Keep it up!
    I checked ebay and the going price for a good condition Atari (wood grain) with cables is about $50-$60.
    What you saw for $125 with 25 games is a normal ebay price but you wouldn't have had to deal with shipping that would have been about another $30.
    Hopefully you'll see another one :)
    That Nintendo looks to be in good shape. Keep it up. I'll take a NES too if you find one. Keep buying NES and SNES games! I'll take any you don't want. Although I do like the idea that you might be getting back into retro video gaming! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous (Julie?) - If you knew the notorious history of lawn darts, and that they were taken off the market for resulting in too many kids being skewered to the lawn like butterflies in a collection, you might not let Bill have them. That said, if you can find some of the original metal tipped variety, it's a fun game with an element of serious danger. Alternatively, you can play the same game with your kitchen cooking knives.

    ReplyDelete